Designed by Joseph Furttenbach the Elder (German, 1591–1667) and Johann Jacob Campanus (German, active Ulm 1620–40)
Engraved by Matthäus Rembold (German, 1629–1657)
Printed for Johann Schultes the Younger (German, 1623–1667), Augsburg
Engraving: Overall: 12 3/8 x 8 1/16 x 9/16 in. (31.5 x 20.5 x 1.5 cm)
The Elisha Whittelsey Collection, The Elisha Whittelsey Fund, 1954 (54.512.2)
Furttenbach's intimate garden courtyard with a small grotto, richly decorated with rare flowers arranged in several compartments, illustrates the intimate "secret garden" owned by the wealthy bourgeoisie in early seventeenth-century Germany and the Netherlands. Furttenbach describes the grotto in his garden as being filled with artifice and exotica, including shell-encrusted sculptures and waterworks, painted cosmological imagery, and mirrors. His garden is a kind of open-air museum where the plants constitute the valued, living statues. The flowers are identifiable as the most sought after and costly bulbs of the period, the narcissus, tulip, fritillary, and crown imperial, demonstrating Furttenbach's knowledge of current botanical research.