Marble; 11 x 6 7/8 in. (27.95 x 17.5 cm)
Purchased by Joseph W. Drexel at Thebes, Donated by Joseph W. Drexel, Philadelphia, 1889, Gift of Joseph W. Drexel, 1889 (89.2.652)
The votive inscription is in Greek and reads: “In behalf of king Ptolemy, the great god, Philopator, savior and winner of victory, and his son Ptolemy, to Isis, Sarapis, Apollon, Komon son of Asklepiades, treasurer at Naukratis [has dedicated this].” The plaque was dedicated sometime between 209 B.C, when Ptolemy V Epiphanes, the son of Ptolemy IV Philopator, was born, and 204 B.C., the year of his father’s death. It was probably deposited at a temple to accompany an offering made to the gods Isis, Sarapis, and Apollo for the well-being of the royal family.