Frans Hals (Dutch, 1582/83–1666)
Oil on canvas
39 3/8 x 32 1/4 in. (100 x 81.9 cm)
Marquand Collection, Gift of Henry G. Marquand, 1890 (91.26.10)
The picture dates from about 1650 and originally had a neutral background, as in the Marquand Portrait of a Man (91.26.9). In the 1660s or later, the work was modernized by repainting the background; the monumental architecture in particular is unsympathetic to the figure's friendly gaze and natural pose. The paint surface is worn and has been flattened by lining.