Joseph Mallord William Turner (English, 1775–1851)
Oil on canvas
36 x 48 1/8 in. (91.4 x 122.2 cm)
Bequest of Cornelius Vanderbilt, 1899 (99.31)
This painting, which is based in part on a sketch executed in August 1819 during Turner's first trip to Venice, combines two viewpoints along the Grand Canal. The buildings on the left are seen from the corner of the Church of Santa Maria della Salute. Those on the right are seen from a vague position across the canal, approximately 100 yards farther back, near the Campo del Traghetto of Santa Maria del Giglio. Turner also extended the height of the Campanile (the tower in the background at left) and added a building in the background at the right.