- Attributed to John Townsend (1732–1809)
- (none assigned) Newport, Rhode Island, United States
- Mahogany, maple, chestnut, white pine
- 38 x 20 1/2 x 16 1/2 in. (96.5 x 52.1 x 41.9 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Purchase, Anthony W. and Lulu C. Wang Gift, 2004
- Accession Number:
New England chair makers continued to employ turned stretchers much longer than their counterparts did in Philadelphia and New York. This chair in the manner of John Townsend displays his characteristic incised diaper pattern in the center of the flared crest rail.