This fine relief of Thutmose III probably came from his valley temple. He also constructed a mortuary temple against the cliffs of Deir el-Bahri at Thebes adjacent to that of Hatshepsut, with whom he shared the kingship for part of his reign. It shows the king wearing the khat headcloth with a very menacing coiled uraeus on his brow.
The fragment was found reused in a Ramesside temple on the same site as Thutmose's valley temple. It was excavated in 1906 by Lord Carnarvon and came to the Museum after his death along with many other items in his collection.
Excavated by Lord Carnarvon and Howard Carter, 1906. Acquired by Carnarvon in the division of finds. Carnarvon Collection 1906-1926. Carnarvon Collection purchased by the Museum from Lady Carnarvon, 1926.
Pijoán, José 1950. Summa Artis: Historia general del arte, Vol. III. 1950. Madrid, p. 254, fig. 335.
Hayes, William C. 1959. Scepter of Egypt II: A Background for the Study of the Egyptian Antiquities in the Metropolitan Museum of Art: The Hyksos Period and the New Kingdom (1675-1080 B.C.). Cambridge, Mass.: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, p. 118, fig. 60.