Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History



  • Monochrome cast vessels, 1st century a.d.
    Roman
    Translucent cast glass

    H. 2 5/16 in. (5.9 cm), Diam. 2 15/16 in. (7.5 cm)
    Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.194.155)

    H. 3 1/2 in. (8.9 cm), Diam. 2 7/16 in. (6.2 cm)
    Edward C. Moore Collection, Bequest of Edward C. Moore, 1891 (91.1.1238)

    H. 2 1/16 in. (5.2 cm), Diam. 4 11/16 in. (11.9 cm)
    Gift of Henry G. Marquand, 1881 (81.10.128)

    H. 3 11/16 in. (9.4 cm), Diam. 2 5/16 in. (5.9 cm)
    H. O. Havemeyer Collection, Bequest of Mrs. H. O. Havemeyer, 1929 (29.100.84)

    These cups and bowls represent the class of brightly colored translucent wares that dominated the repertoire of Roman cast glass until they were superceded by vessels made in colorless glass. Unlike mosaic glass, which was made primarily in the Syro-Palestinian region, most translucent monochrome vessels were probably made in Italian workshops and are found mainly in archaeological sites in Italy and the western provinces. However, the popularity of such lightly colored vessels was short-lived, spanning the four decades of the mid-first century between about 30 and 70 A.D. Because of this limited production, the group is noticeably homogeneous, whereas greater variety in shape and palette can be seen in their (1972.118.185; 13.198.1,.2,.3). The principal colors for this class of cast glasses are deep amber, green or blue, bright turquoise blue, and a manganese purple. The carinated profile was formed by casting a blank of glass between two molds, followed by lathe polishing and cutting on the interior and exterior to create the desired final shape.

    Related


    On view: Gallery 171
    Move Separator Print
    Close
  • Monochrome cast vessels, 1st century A.D.
    Roman
    Translucent cast glass

    H. 2 5/16 in. (5.9 cm), Diam. 2 15/16 in. (7.5 cm)
    Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.194.155)

    H. 3 1/2 in. (8.9 cm), Diam. 2 7/16 in. (6.2 cm)
    Edward C. Moore Collection, Bequest of Edward C. Moore, 1891 (91.1.1238)

    H. 2 1/16 in. (5.2 cm), Diam. 4 11/16 in. (11.9 cm)
    Gift of Henry G. Marquand, 1881 (81.10.128)

    H. 3 11/16 in. (9.4 cm), Diam. 2 5/16 in. (5.9 cm)
    H. O. Havemeyer Collection, Bequest of Mrs. H. O. Havemeyer, 1929 (29.100.84)

    Move
    Close