Pietro Bernini (Italian, 15621629)
Originally in the gardens of the Villa Borghese, Rome
Marble; (.1) H. 89 7/8 in. (228.3 cm); (.2) H. 90 3/8 in. (229.6 cm)
Purchase, The Annenberg Foundation Gift, 1990 (1990.53.1,.2)
The two terms were made in 1616 by Pietro Bernini (15621629) with the assistance of his more famous son, the sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini (15981680), for Cardinal Scipione Borghese. Each consisting of a half-body merging into a tapering pedestal, they originally stood in the gardens of the Villa Borghese in Rome, at the entrance to the cardinal's Vigna di Porta Pinciana. Appropriately laden with fruits and flowers, the Flora and Priapus, carved in an energetic, rustic fashion, symbolize the abundance of nature in spring and autumn.