- dated 1749
- Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
- Colonial American, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
- Horn (cow), wood
- L. 15 1/4 in. (38.7 cm); Diam. 2 3/4 in. (7 cm); Wt. 12.2 oz. (345.9 g)
- Firearms Accessories-Powder Horns
- Credit Line:
- The Collection of J. H. Grenville Gilbert, of Ware, Massachusetts, Gift of Mrs. Gilbert, 1937
- Accession Number:
This horn is one of the earliest dated American engraved powder horns in existence. It is engraved with the owner's name, Asa Hapgood, of Shrewsbury, Massachusetts.
Inscription: Inscribed: SHREWSBURY NOVEMBER THE 9 1749 / ASA HAPGOOD HIS HORN;
also: J A L T.
Guthman, William H. Drums A'beating, Trumpets Sounding. Artistically Carved Powder Horns in the Provincial Manner, 1746-1781. Hartford, Connecticut: The Connecticut Historical Society, 1993. p, 83, no. 8.