Marble; H. 34 1/2 in. (87 cm)
Rogers Fund, 1907 (07.286.107)
Architectural sculpture known as akroteria often decorated the gables and four corners of the roof on ancient Greek temples and civic buildings. These purely decorative elements originally took the form of large, painted terracotta ornaments and, later, marble ornaments and statues carved in relief or in the round. The front of this marble akroterion is decorated in relief with a palmette, the stems of which rise as spiral tendrils from a bed of acanthus leaves. At the top is a flower that once had a painted stem. The akroterion was found near Keratea in Attica, and once crowned a tall marble shaft now in the National Archaeological Museum, Athens. The inscription states that the grave monument was erected to honor Timotheos and his son Nikon, both of the deme (political district) of Kephale.