Boiserie from the Hôtel de Cabris, Grasse

ca. 1774, with later additions
French, Paris
Carved, painted, and gilded oak
Overall: H. 11 ft. 8-1/2 in. x W. 22 ft. 10-1/2 in. x L. 25 ft. 6 in. (3.56 x 6.96 x 7.77 m); or H. 140-1/2 x W. 274-1/2 x D. 306 inches (356.9 x 697.2 x 777.2 cm)
Credit Line:
Purchase, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wrightsman Gift, 1972
Accession Number:
  • Description

    The Hôtel de Cabris in Grasse, from which this room was taken, is now the local archeological and historical museum. It was built between 1771 and 1774 for Jean Paul de Clapiers, marquis de Cabris, after designs by a little-known Milanese architect, Giovanni Orello.

    The paneling, dating from 1775–78, was carved, painted, and gilded in Paris, then installed in a small reception room on the main floor. The four pairs of double doors are remarkable for the carved motifs of smoking incense burners, interlaced laurel sprays, and torches, exemplifying the sobriety of the Neoclassical style. The white marble chimneypiece, contemporary with the room, comes from the Hôtel de Greffulhe in Paris.

  • Provenance

    Jean Paul de Clapiers, 3rd marquis of Cabris , Hôtel de Cabris, Grasse ; and Louise de Mirabeau , Hôtel de Cabris, Grasse (ca. 1772/74–1813) ; Elisabeth-Pauline Cabris, comtesse de Navaille (by descent, 1813; sold to Bruery brothers) ; Jean-Paul and Nicolas Bruery (from 1813) ; Bruery family (by descent, until 1910; sold to E.M. Hodgkins) ; E. M. Hodgkins , Paris (1910–37; sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, May 29, 1937, no lot no.; sold to Duveen Brothers); [ Duveen Brothers , 1937–57; sold to Mr. and Mrs. Wrightsman, New York] ; Charles and Jayne Wrightsman , New York (1957–72)

  • See also
    In the Museum
    Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History