Go to Navigation
Go to Content
Go to Search
Inscription: Blindstamp on mount recto, BC: "R. MacPherson // *Rome*"; inscribed in pencil on mount recto, BC (inside blindstamp): "139"; mount recto, BC (below blindstamp): "Falls of Terni"
[Graphics International, Ltd., Washington, DC]; Gilman Paper Company Collection, New York, November 8, 1978
The falls are actually located in Marmore (about 8 km from Terni, the provincial capital) and known as Cascata delle Marmore (Marmore's Falls) today. It is a man-made waterfall from the river Velino created by the ancient Romans.
Main Building 1000 Fifth Avenue (at 82nd Street), New York, NY 10028 | 212-535-7710
The Cloisters 99 Margaret Corbin Drive, Fort Tryon Park, New York, NY 10040 | 212-923-3700