Artist: Camille Corot (French, Paris 1796–1875 Paris )
Date: ca. 1830
Medium: Oil on wood
Dimensions: 11 3/4 x 16 1/8 in. (29.8 x 41 cm)
Credit Line: Purchase, Mr. and Mrs. Richard J. Bernhard Gift, by exchange, 1974
Accession Number: 1974.3
The site of the Calvary, a shrine built in 1628 at the top of a cliff overlooking the medieval town of Honfleur, was popular in the nineteenth century among tourists, pilgrims, and people offering prayers for men at sea. Corot painted this work during a trip to Normandy, probably in 1830.
Its first known owner was the landscape painter Henri-Joseph Harpignies, whom Corot encouraged from the early 1850s onward.