Artist: Bernardo Bellotto (Italian, Venice 1722–1780 Warsaw)
Medium: Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 25 1/4 x 39 1/4 in. (64.1 x 99.7 cm)
Credit Line: Purchase, Joseph Pulitzer Bequest, 1939
Accession Number: 39.142
On the right is the village of Canonica d'Adda, north of Milan, and in the center is the Villa Melzi, where Leonardo da Vinci visited his pupil Francesco Melzi. On drawings made to record the composition, Bellotto noted the picture and its pendant were painted in 1744 for Count Simonetta in Milan. The second picture, now in a private collection, is a different view of the same locality.