Nicolas-Sébastien Adam le Jeune (French, 1705–1778) and Ange-Jacques Gabriel (French, 1698–1782)
Marble; H. 71 in. (180.3 cm), Diam. 53 1/2 in. (135.9 cm)
Purchase, Josephine Bay Paul and C. Michael Paul Foundation Inc. and Charles Ulrick and Josephine Bay Foundation Inc. Gifts and Rogers Fund, 1966 (66.29.2)
This vase, along with its mate by Jean-Baptiste Pigalle (66.29.1), was part of a set of four designed for the gardens of the royal Château de Choisy by the architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel. None of the vases, however, was ever sent to Choisy. The Museum's pair was given by Louis XV to the marquis de Marigny, the marquise de Pompadour's brother, who placed them in his own château at Ménars, where they remained until the beginning of this century. The other pair, decorated with the attributes of spring, was made by Jacques Verberckt and is divided between the Musée de Louvre in Paris and the château at Malmaison.