Friends of Egyptian Art and the Dendur Society
The Friends of Egyptian Art are people with a keen interest in ancient Egypt and a curiosity to learn in depth about The Met's extraordinary Egyptian collection while developing a close relationship with the passionate curators who care for it. Our Friends investigate Egyptian art through four to five events each season, hearing firsthand about new research on ancient Egyptian objects and exciting new finds from current excavations in Egypt, as well as enjoying exclusive tours of current Egyptian exhibitions. Most presentations take place in our galleries, and many include the unique opportunity of viewing art that has been removed from its case. A cocktail reception follows each event, giving Friends an opportunity to converse with the curators, and to become acquainted with other individuals who appreciate Egyptian art. Friends are invited to share their interest by bringing a guest. Annual dues support the Museum and the activities of the Department of Egyptian Art, including research, exhibitions, publications, and gallery installations.
The Friends of Egyptian Art receive the following benefits:
- Four to five private events that focus on special topics related to The Met's world-renowned collection, upcoming and current exhibitions, and ongoing excavations in Egypt
- Private receptions in The Temple of Dendur in The Sackler Wing following each event
- Invitations to previews and opening receptions for exhibitions organized by the Department of Egyptian Art
- Invitation to the annual Wilkinson lecture series and reception
- Subscription to The Department of Egyptian Art Annals, the Department's annual newsletter
- Acknowledgment in The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Annual Report
In addition, supports of the Dendur Society receive:
- Private tour with a Department of Egyptian Art curator for you and your guests
- Private lunch with a Department of Egyptian Art curator
- Complimentary exhibition catalogues or other publications of the Department of Egyptian Art
The Dendur Society Annual Dues: $8,000 (a portion of dues is tax-deductible)
Friends Annual Dues: $5,000 (a portion of dues is tax-deductible)
Friends Under-Forty Annual Dues: $3,500 (a portion of dues is tax-deductible)
For more information, please contact Elizabeth Miller at 212-570-3770 or email@example.com.
Highlights of Past Events
- Presentations on the collection and related topics: "Celebrating 50 Years of The Temple of Dendur at The Met," "Scarab Seals and Amulets: A World in Miniature," "Ancient Egypt in the Opera" (included a performance of Aida excerpts).
- Private curator-led viewings of exhibitions: Ancient Egypt Transformed: The Middle Kingdom and Jewelry: The Body Transformed.
- Excavation reports by Met curators and international archaeologists: "From Industrial Waste to Table Scraps: Recent Discoveries at Malqata," "Recent Work at Dahshur: The North Chapel of Senwosret III," "Life and Death in Ancient Thebes: Recent Discoveries at Dra Abu el-Naga."