Desk and Bookcase
- John Davey (active ca. 1797–1822)
- John Davey Jr.
- Made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Mahogany, satinwood veneer with white pine,
- 94 11/16 x 45 x 22 3/8 in. (240.5 x 114.3 x 56.8 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Purchase, Fletcher and Rogers Funds, Mrs. Russell
Sage Gift, and Sylmaris Collection, Gift of George
Coe Graves, by exchange, 1962
- Accession Number:
John Davey inscribed his name seven times on the drawers of this desk and bookcase; the signature of his son John Davey Jr., who at the time was undoubtedly still serving his apprenticeship, appears twice. Another pencil inscription reads “C. J. Ewing / Media,” for Charles J. Ewing, who owned the piece in the mid-nineteenth century.