Maker: Dirk Van Erp (1862–1933)
Date: ca. 1912–15
Geography: Made in San Francisco, California, United States
Medium: Copper base, mica and copper shade
Dimensions: H. 26 in. (66 cm); Diam. 23 in. (58.4 cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Charles L. and Jane D. Kaufmann, 1989
Accession Number: 1989.129
Emigrating from the Netherlands, California Arts and Crafts metalworker Dirk Van Erp was known for his metal lamps. In 1910–11, Van Erp entered into a brief partnership with Elizabeth Eleanor D'Arcy Gaw, a designer who studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and C. R. Ashbee's Guild of Handicraft. This lamp features a mica shade that crowns the hand-hammered baluster-shaped base of a rich reddish brown copper. The lamp was not produced before 1910 and it is likely to have been a collaboration between the two designers. After D'Arcy Gaw left, Van Erp's studio continued to produce the designs.