Date: 6th century B.C.
Culture: Greek, South Italian, Tarentine
Dimensions: H.: 8 x 10 1/2 x 1 1/4 in. (20.3 cm)
Credit Line: Fletcher Fund, 1926
Accession Number: 26.60.73
This terracotta antefix with the head of Medusa originally decorated the edge of a roof of an Archaic Greek temple or civic building, possibly near Taranto. Terracotta was a popular medium for architectural details on Greek buildings in southern Italy, and the carved details on this antefix originally would have been brightly painted. The head of Medusa, a frequently featured device, would have been appropriate along the facade of a building, warding off any approaching evil.