Date: 15th century
Geography: Made in Bourgogne, France
Dimensions: Overall: 137 13/16 x 108 11/16 in. (350 x 276.1 cm)
Credit Line: Gift of George Blumenthal, 1935
Accession Number: 35.35.1
The elegant design and fine stone of this window bear witness to the importance of the monastery from which they come: Sens was one of the first Dominican foundations in France, and one of the most powerful. In 1420, however, it was sacked by the English. A year later, the duchess of Burgundy offered funds for its repair, and local citizens followed suit. By 1475, Dominicans from all over France were able to convene for meetings at Sens, suggesting that the refectory, from which these windows come, must have been completed by that date. One window in the refectory was fitted with stained glass in 1503.
The monastery fell into disrepair in the eighteenth century, and its buildings were offered for sale beginning in 1791.
Three other windows in the collection (acc. nos. 35.35.2–.4) also come from this monastery.