This guitar was used by the legendary guitarist Andrés Segovia. From the plugged holes in the peghead, it would appear that this instrument was originally made as an eleven string guitar, a design popular in Andalusia during the last half of the nineteenth century. It was undoubtedly converted to its present six-string configuration prior to its acquisition by Segovia. In addition to the label of Manuel Ramírez, a repair label was placed inside by Santos Hernández in 1922. At the time this instrument was made, Hernández worked for
Ramírez. The two-piece back is made of Brazilian rosewood; the two-piece top is of spruce.
Andrés Segovia launched his career playing this guitar; he concertized and recorded with it from 1912 to 1937 and played it at his United States debut in New York's Town Hall in 1929.