Side chair, ca. 1810
Attributed to the Workshop of Duncan Phyfe (American, 1770–1854)
New York City
Mahogany, gilded brass with yellow poplar, cherry, ash; 32 1/2 x 17 7/8 x 16 1/4 in. (82.6 x 45.4 x 41.3 cm)
Gift of C. Ruxton Love Jr., 1960 (60.4.4)
This chair is part of a large suite of furniture that includes a sofa, a pair of armchairs, ten side chairs, and a pair of footstools. It was once owned by Thomas Cornell Pearsall, a wealthy New York merchant and shipowner. The attribution to the famed furniture maker Duncan Phyfe is based on a Pearsall family tradition and is recorded in an inscription stamped on the inside of the seat rails of the sofa and several chairs.